Ooey, gooey, warm, chewy, chocolatey chunk cookies are my favorite. I totally loved these chocolate chip cookies as a kid. Since I’ve been required to eat a gluten, grain, dairy, sugar, chicken egg and yeast free diet for the last year and a half, it’s been hard to find sweets that I’m actually able to eat, and man do I love a delicious baked good. I finally played around with a cookie recipe my best friend Kelly and I came up with, and the cookie caper has been solved, and they’re amazing!!!
Best Ever Paleo Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Ingredients (makes 12 giant cookies)
2 cups blanched almond flour (you can use almond meal, the cookies will just be a tad darker)
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup coconut sugar
2/3 cup vegan butter (I like this one)
2/3 cups almond butter
2 duck eggs (or 2 chicken eggs)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 – 4 ounce chocolate bars (I used the 60% Dark Chocolate Bars from Ghiradelli), roughly chopped. This is where you can get creative and use your favorite chocolate bar, like these Chocolate Caramel Sea Salt ones.
- In a medium sized bowl combine flours, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a large sized bowl, cream together vegan butter and sugar and mix on low speed.
- Add in the almond butter and mix on medium until combined.
- Slowly add in eggs one at a time and vanilla extract.
- Once all of the wet ingredients are combined, add in flour mixture a 1/2 cup at a time, until well combined.
- Gently fold in chocolate chunks until combined.
- Place mixture in the fridge for about an hour (I know, torture).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare your baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- With a large ice cream scoop (I like this one), scoop about a 1/2 cup of mixture onto your baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 17 minutes or until the edges of your cookie are a golden brown color.
- Take out of the oven and try your best to let them cool completely before eating. And if you can’t wait, crumble that warm cookie baby over a nice big bowl of coconut milk vanilla ice cream, with sprinkles, and peanuts, and coconut whip cream and chocolate fudge and… well you get the picture
Want a secret tip to making all your cookies amazingly soft? Don’t over bake them! I know it’s super scary to pull those cookies out of the oven when they still look a little gooey in the middle, but don’t worry, it’ll be okay. I promise. If you leave them in the oven until they look all the way done, you’ll get hard crunchy cookies and I’m totally not into that. For soft chewy cookies, which is absolutely the only way to go, pull them out when they’re just golden around the edges and let them cool for about 1o minutes on the baking sheet until moving them to an wire rack.
Now, grab a glass of ice cold almond milk, because we all know, “Milk was a bad choice,” and enjoy all your hard work and get a chuckle at my top 5 favorite Anchorman quotes, because why not.
5 – “I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.”
4 – “I love lamp.”
3 – “It’s so damn hot. Milk was a bad choice.”
2 – “You know I don’t speak Spanish.”
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a little something if you click and purchase the product through the link.
Come join our Instagram Party @reallifecrafter